My Country, My City, My Neighborhood.


I live in the country of Colombia, I have lived all my life in the country of Colombia, and being a person who has never really seen something else in person rather than this country, I think it's pretty good. I have yet to see a lot of it, but maybe just enough to form some sort of judgement about its beauty, its people, and more.
Colombia has hot climate, cold climate, extremely hot almost to the point of instant combustion climate (which so happens to be where I live, but I will get into that later), big cities, small cities, countless towns,  borders with other South American countries, two (!!) oceans,  and so many more incredible qualities.
Also, the people. Colombians are welcoming, fun, just a tiny bit crazy and ready to enjoy all the good things life has to offer, like a block party, or an after-church lunch with the entire family, or a soccer match,  or just a windy afternoon chilling in the porch of a house.
Even if Colombia is not perfect, even if us Colombians aren't perfect (and we definitely aren't) , we are a strong country full of strong people. I'm glad im Colombian.


In my previous paragraph I talked about "hot almost to the point of combustion" city, well, that city is Barranquilla, my home.
When you think Barranquilla you probably think of our annual festivity, the Carnaval. And that is a great place to start: to the beat of the drums playing a "puya", with dancers all around, shaking their bodies to the wild rhythm of the music, with the burning hot sun on their faces, and the crowds of people shaking their shoulders and throwing "maizena" and "espuma" all over.
But Barranquilla is so much more than that. It houses the beautiful theater Amira De La Rosa (which is now under some sort of construction, sadly) in which I have made so many wonderful memories and which holds such a special place in my heart. The Metropolitan Stadium (or Estadio Metropolitano Roberto Meléndez) in which our football team has qualified for World Cups and brought tears and joy to the fans.
Barranquilla's been making a lot of progress in the last few years and I hope it keeps striving to become a better city for its citizens and the people who visit.
Also, we hosted the 2018 Central American and The Caribbean Games, that was awesome.


On the city of Barranquilla stands a very pretty neighborhood in which me and my family live.
My neighborhood is very quiet, its not a very transited part of the city. There is a park nearby, where people go to take walks, run, do exercise, play soccer, and walk their dogs. It's very green and has pretty plants.
I live very close to the Santa Teresita church, so when we go, it's just a walk away, which after 5 o'clock mass is very enjoyable because you get to see the pretty colors in the sky and talk.
A friend used to live next to us, but he moved away and we aren't really friends anymore, but on the other side, there is a brownie shop super close to my house so I can just walk there and eat very good brownies. Also there used to be a food truck joint near me, and I used to go there a lot with my family and friends, but it's now long gone. Even so, there is a mall a bit farther that has some good restaurants. There is also a hair salon nearby, a grocery store, and some shops.  Some of my friends also live pretty nearby. I love my neighborhood.

Comentarios

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares